The South Tahoe Public Utility District (District) continues to track the ever-changing circumstances of the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. The District’s Administrative Office is open to the public with social distancing and mask requirements in place. District Board of Director meetings are open to the public and will continue to be offered via GoToMeeting, check the agenda for the most up to date call-in information. The District’s lab is open to accept water samples by appointment, call (530) 543-6231.
The District is committed to protecting the health and safety of our community, our employees, and maintaining safe and reliable water and wastewater services. Below are programs adopted by the Board of Directors to support our community during these challenging and unprecedented times.
COVID-19 Rate Relief Program
November 19, 2020 – The District Board of Directors approved extending the COVID-19 Rate Relief Program. Customers whose primary residence or business are within the District’s service area and are facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic can sign-up for a 50% credit (up to $3,000) on your sewer bill. If you previously received an account credit for the sign-up period ending October 30, you may sign-up to receive the credit for a second time. Sign-ups must be received by December 31, 2020.
How to Sign-Up
- Review the guidelines below to confirm eligibility.
- Sign-up online at https://stpud.watersmart.com/Raterelief. Must be submitted by December 31, 2020. Call the District at (530) 544-6474 if you need assistance.
To issue a 50% account credit (up to $3,000) to a quarterly sewer bill for South Tahoe Public Utility District (District) customers whose primary residence or business are within the District’s service area and are facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Customers eligible for Rate Relief Program include:
- Residential customers whose primary (full-time) residence is in STPUD’s service area and are facing financial hardship due to COVID-19
- Business customers who are facing financial hardship due to COVID-19
- Multi-family residential customers who are facing financial hardship due to COVID-19
Government entities are not eligible for the program.
Sign-up by December 31, 2020 and the credit will be applied to the next quarterly bill. The STPUD Board of Directors may modify, extend, and/or terminate the program at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How much will be credited to my bill? The credit is for 50% off of one quarterly sewer charge, up to $3,000.The amount depends on the number of sewer units associated with the property. The average residential sewer customer has 3 sewer units, which would be a $66 credit.
- When will the credit be applied to my bill? The credit will be applied to the next quarterly bill.
- How will I know if my credit has been approved? The District will send a confirmation email once the credit has been applied to your account. You can also check your account at https://myaccount.stpud.us/eSuite.Utilities/Default.aspx.
- Why can’t I open the sign-up form online? The form does not work when using Internet Explorer. Try one of the newer browsers, including Chrome, Edge, Safari and/or Firefox. If you are still having trouble, call our office for support (530) 544-6474.
- This is my second home and I was financially impacted by COVID, do I qualify? Residential accounts that are not a primary residenceare not eligible for the program. Primary residence shall be as defined under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable regulations of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Can I sign-up more than once? If you already received the credit for the sign-up period ending October 30, 2020, you may sign-up again to receive a second credit.
- If I am a tenant who pays the utility bill, can I sign-up? Yes, you will need the account number for the property. Fill out and submit the online form, and the credit will be applied to the sewer bill. Because property owners on record are billed for utility service, STPUD encourages property owners to pass the rate relief onto the tenant.
- I am a business owner who pays the utilities, but do not own the property, can I sign-up?Yes, you will need the account number for the property. Fill out and submit the online form, and the credit will be applied to the sewer bill.
- What kinds of businesses are included? All non-governmental businesses operating in our service area.
Late Fees Waived
September 3, 2020 – The District Board of Directors approved waiving late fees for water and sewer bills due at the end of September
Suspend Service Disconnects for Non-Payment
March 20, 2020 – The District Board of Directors approved suspending service disconnections for non-payments.